As the new year unfolds, Caroline Underhill, our Global Marketing Director spoke to our friends at Lightfoot Travel to bring you a curated list of travel inspiration for 2024. From the enchanting landscapes of Kenya in February to encountering wild orangutans in the jungles of Malaysian Borneo in August, let Lightfoot Travel’s seasonal favourites capture your imagination for future adventures.
March – India
- Why: The National Parks are starting to become more arid, making for great sightings of the Benghal tiger.
- Highlights: Stay in a luxury tented camp and head out for game drives.
- Top tip: Combine the tigers in Ranthambore National Park with the leopards in the Jawai district for the ultimate safari experience of the Rajasthani desert.
May – Turkey
- Why: Beat the summer crowds and explore Turkey before it gets too hot.
- Highlights: Combine Istanbul, Izmir and Cappadochia for the ultimate 10-day adventure.
- Top tip: Try a hot air ballooning experience over Cappadochia at sunrise.
July – Mongolia
- Why: Mongolia has an incredibly short travel season due to its harsh northern climate and July is one of the best months to visit. Days are long and temperatures are warm, which is perfect given most of your time will be spent outdoors exploring the country’s vast and diverse countryside.
- Highlights: Hiking up the Khongoren Els sand dunes in the Gobi Desert for sunset; spending time with our nomadic friends learning to cook, herding the animals, and integrating yourself in their daily life; witnessing smaller, local Naadams (Mongolia’s national festival that takes place every July).
- Top tip: Splurge and stay in one of our Mandala gers, a bespoke luxury ger located next to a nomadic family in the middle of the wilderness.
August – Malaysian Borneo
- Why: It is peak season for a reason – the weather is warm and dry with occasional showers, making it ideal for jungle trekking, wildlife safaris, and relaxing at the beach.
- Highlights: Witness the majestic orangutans in Sepilok, enjoy a wildlife cruise down the Kinabatangan River to spot pygmy elephants, summit Mount Kinabalu.
- Top tip: Book early as a lot of the wildlife lodges are small and can book up a year in advance.
September – Beijing & Xi’an, China
- Why: This time of year is perfect for outdoor sightseeing, after the summer heat has dissipated and before the harsh winters set in. These two cities pair perfectly as you can take a four-five hour high speed train between them, eliminating the need for often-delayed domestic flights.
- Highlights: (Beijing) Hiking unrestored and remote sections of the Great Wall; potter about the city’s fast-disappearing hutongs and get a real taste for local life; bring the Forbidden City to life for kids with a symbol hunting adventure. (Xi’an) Experience the city’s Muslim influences on one of the best food tours we offer; get out into the countryside in an antique jeep, meeting the locals and exploring ancient cave dwellings.
- Top tip: Avoid travelling over any Chinese public holidays!
October – Oman
- Why: The weather is perfect at this time of year – beach weather on the coast and pleasantly cool in the mountains.
- Highlights: Desert camping in the Wahiba Sands; witnessing turtle releases in Ras Al Jinz; some of the most exquisite hotel options in the Middle East.
- Top tip: Make time to explore the hauntingly beautiful Jabal Akhdar Mountains.
December – St Lucia
- Why: Beautiful spot for those who are looking for relaxation but also like to be active.
- Highlights: Head to the South of the island to the tropical rainforest to enjoy hiking, biking and for a view of the beautiful pitons.
- Top tip: Some beautiful boutique style properties which can be combined for a twin centre on different parts of the island.
February – Kenya
- Why: Less crowds and beautiful weather. The grass in the Masai Mara is long and ethereal making the landscape breathtakingly beautiful, there is greater movement of elephants and whilst the longer grass can make some game spotting a little more challenging – the reward is tenfold.
- Highlights: The enormous skylines made even bigger by the clear weather.
- Top tip: Combine beach with bush as it is also one of the best times for the Kenyan coast with tides pulling any seaweed away from the shoreline making way for tropical white sand.
Lightfoot Travel specialises in tailor-made holidays and, with offices around the world, can help you plan an adventure from any location. To discuss your holiday wish list please contact the Lightfoot Travel team at email@example.com quoting The Fry Group.